Thread: New sidekick feature

New sidekick feature

Since I am probably in the top 10 most vocal critics on the forums, I wanted to make a post to give the devs some positive feedback.

I think this new feature is a really good step for UE. Itís a multifaceted solution that I believe many players will enjoy. Great job

Re: New sidekick feature

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Since I am probably in the top 10 most vocal critics on the forums, I wanted to make a post to give the devs some positive feedback.

I think this new feature is a really good step for UE. Itís a multifaceted solution that I believe many players will enjoy. Great job
    Iím also a top 10 critic, i like the new feature. I donít think you should have to wait for paid hunts, but thatís probably more of a control of the grind feature than anything else.

With that said, i donít think this feature takes the game to another level. Itís really no different than insignias or chem packs with the added boost of a skill albeit a small one.

What we need is a strategy based feature, when eve was released it completely changed the scope of the game. Took it from a player vs player game and brought in team vs team but also strategy.

Eve isnít/wasnít designed with spending involved but teamwork. We need something else like this. Possibly breaking groups into continents or countries and letting the groups fight normal eve, but every weekend countries invade others.

So you work during the week controlling your country and then lead that country to dominate another country.

Quote Originally Posted by Xcali1985 View Post
    With that said, i donít think this feature takes the game to another level. Itís really no different than insignias or chem packs with the added boost of a skill albeit a small one.

What we need is a strategy based feature, when eve was released it completely changed the scope of the game. Took it from a player vs player game and brought in team vs team but also strategy.

Eve isnít/wasnít designed with spending involved but teamwork. We need something else like this.
    It's a critic party!

I like the new feature in most ways. I'm trying to hunt that Shiny Venomoth that reduces the energy timers.

My biggest concern was the amount of paid hunts that could be done in the sense that it could cause an even bigger gap between the bigger spenders and the free/casual spenders. I would have made it around double-free at max. I don't know many who are bothering with them at 70fp for the 3rd paid set so it's not as much of an issue as I feared it would be. You can't drive away the free players and keep the paid ones amused with a smaller pool - many of the veterans of the game already know one another and unless there is a rivalry, they're often pretty civil to one another due to some history.

The part I continue to be concerned about is the prospects of teaching this new dynamic to those who struggle with the core mechanics. The ones with trouble seating LTs or choosing insignias. For the novice player, the already steep learning curve just took an incline.

That said, maybe that is the core issue outside of cost factors of the game. I see 2 types throughout - the ones who utilize tactics and those who use brute force. We faced an empire today with much bigger toons and they lost because they shot all over the board with no team cohesion whatsoever. If they were organized, they would have stomped us but we beat them in a nailbiter. I could see this new dynamic giving a further edge to those who put thought into their setups and that's not a bad thing.

As for the country vs country - could it be world war? Sure some hated the back to back timing with EvE, but the strategies required then really separated the pack. Brute force only got you so far if you left map points poorly defended. Try as I did to coach, some in the empire never "got" it, and a few only caught on near the end. Since that event there have been periods where we would have been formidable and periods where we would have been sunk based on ratio of strategic:force recruits.

I'm overall happy with what we got in this feature. I do agree with Xcali that something a bit more cerebral would be welcome in the future.

There is nothing wrong, with constructive criticism every now and then

This whole Feature of Pet/side kicks was good enough to made me busy for several months i guess lol but the thought of RNG will probably haunted me uit i can't deny that if implemented right it might have impact at gameplay (good ones) at some points.

But i wholeheartedly agree with Quaranj, for new guy this feature will probably givin em more headache. As if the lt customization and selection wasn't already complex enough. Guide from the community is their best bet to help them understanding this one.

As for variation of EvE, probably i will be just crossing my finger hoping for surprises.