• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ibnu75
    Lackey
    • Nov 2014

How does the ranking system works?

I have held my tongue for many seasons playing this game. Unfortunately the same cant be said about my spending.

I like the EvE battles as it utilizes teamwork above anything else. The members in the empire work real hard to be a cohesive unit.

However, the ranking at the end of the season needs a clear and concise explanation. Seasons after seasons we try to improve and figure out how to get the badges, only to be dissapointed most of the time.

If a developer like you guys are putting top 10 badges for the end of season throphy, then its only right that we are to be made clear on how the ranking works. Most of us are tired of spending carelessly when there is no clear approach on how to reach the EvE top 10.

This season is most particularly demoralizing for the crew. Let me try to illustrate to you our last 6 battles of this season.
    1. 6 battles remaining, rank 13, defeated opponent before the 2 hours clock runs out.

2. 5 battles remaining, rank 14 (?), defeated opponent before the 2 hours clock runs out

3. 4 battles remaining, rank 12, lost to opponent before the 2 hours clock runs out. Managed around 30 points.

4. 3 battles remaining, rank 16, defeated opponent before the 2 hours clock runs out.

5. 2 battles remaining, rank 8, lost to Dream Team in half hour, managed to get 13 points

6. 1 battle remaining, rank 52, defeated opponent before the clock runs out, opponent only scored 9 points.

End season ranking 40+.. with a 70% winning average.

We were in the thick of the race then one battles against the champion and we are dropped 44 spots for the loss. While we see other teams after us that lost to DT in a faster manner (8 minutes) dropped only by 16 spots. While there is also an empire that also lost in the second to last battle, dropped only 20 spots, then win the last battle just like us, but ended up ranking in the top 10.

How can we strategize for something when the ranking system are very unpredictable?

How can i justify myself to keep on spending money playing this game when clearly we are not in a clear and fair competition, where the end game depends on a dubious ranking system. This is clearly misleading customer like many of us, I dont spend money to gamble for this. I spend to upgrade my toons to make it competitive for the empire to reach top 10.

Please explain on how the ranking works in lamen term! Also, please improve the ranking system! Thx

Regards,
  • RokyBanana
    Lackey
    • May 2014

Re: How does the ranking system works?

The current ranking system is a complete joke and I would rather see a total overhaul of the existing ranking system than any new heist or lieutenant or magic chard. I don't think anyone is satisfied with the current state.

Comment

• Reaper9292
      Banned
      • Jan 2016

yes ranking system isnt very good ,people been talking about it for a long time.
      despite the fact that i like having a gold badge #55 it doesnt do me no good when i actually know that were just at bottom of legend normally .

with same people and same strategys we managed on the last day of one season to score 4 wins in a row but we still only had like 60% wins .
      anyways we used to rank on legend most of the time but since super powers came out its been hard to keep it up especially when ur numbers are low .
      so yes the ranking system needs work.

Comment

• KOFOLA
        Soldier
        • Jul 2014

I said this before but the best way to fix eve ranking systems is to make it a tournament system. For every win you go up 1 spot for every loss you go down 2 each season you start where you left off. Our empire has had battles where we won and actually went down in rank.

Comment

• UWE_Duke
          Developer
          • Jul 2016

Current ranking system isn't perfect. I think there is already a sticky thread in general explaining it a lot.

Losing a close war does more damage to your rank than losing a one side slide war. And by inference, winning a close war is more beneficial to your rank than winning a easy war. I think these rules make some sense.

In my opinion, to be successful in the current system, you have to give your best in the last 2 weeks (you can think it a playoff season). Luck (randomness) matters in a game, without luck it won't be fun, because we know who is #1 in strength and there's not much point to do those matches to prove it.

It is almost impossible for you not to be #1 if you win every war. Top 2 - 10 depends on some luck somehow, but if you only lost 1 game and win all the rest, you are probably #2. I don't think #3 and #4 are very much different and so should you.

It is also important not to give close wars to empires 4/4 a day, otherwise you all will burn out very badly. On the other hand we also try to make sure that all empires get some close matches once or twice per day, for the top, maybe once per two days on average, to avoid boredom.

Changing the system is never a best task, always will be someone complaining, so we lean towards tweaking it, not overhaul.
          Last edited by UWE_Duke; 03-02-2017, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• DL_Joker
            Underboss
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by UWE_Duke View Post
            Current ranking system isn't perfect. I think there is already a sticky thread in general explaining it a lot.

Losing a close war does more damage to your rank than losing a one side slide war. And by inference, winning a close war is more beneficial to your rank than winning a easy war. I think these rules make some sense.

In my opinion, to be successful in the current system, you have to give your best in the last 2 weeks (you can think it a playoff season). Luck (randomness) matters in a game, without luck it won't be fun, because we know who is #1 in strength and there's not much point to do those matches to prove it.

It is almost impossible for you not to be #1 if you win every war. Top 2 - 10 depends on some luck somehow, but if you only lost 1 game and win all the rest, you are probably #2. I don't think #3 and #4 are very much different and so should you.

It is also important not to give close wars to empires 4/4 a day, otherwise you all will burn out very badly. On the other hand we also try to make sure that all empires get some close matches once or twice per day, for the top, maybe once per two days on average, to avoid boredom.

Changing the system is never a best task, always will be someone complaining, so we lean towards tweaking it, not overhaul.
            No offence, but I don't think anyone will complain. Everyone I've ever spoken to hates the current ranking system. I'd prefer a basic W/L system over what we have now. Even the top empires hate it. The low empires hate it. It makes no sense as it currently stands. I think everyone would appreciate battles against people of similar strength, not, wins by a landslide, gets crushed, gets crushed, close war, gets crushed, wins by a landslide, wins by a landslide, etc.

Almost ANYTHING would be better than the current system. Please consider changing it severely.

My Regards,
            Joker,
            Manager of Dark London.

Comment

• Xcali1985
              Head Boss
              • Jun 2013

Originally posted by DL_Joker View Post
              No offence, but I don't think anyone will complain. Everyone I've ever spoken to hates the current ranking system. I'd prefer a basic W/L system over what we have now. Even the top empires hate it. The low empires hate it. It makes no sense as it currently stands. I think everyone would appreciate battles against people of similar strength, not, wins by a landslide, gets crushed, gets crushed, close war, gets crushed, wins by a landslide, wins by a landslide, etc.

Almost ANYTHING would be better than the current system. Please consider changing it severely.

My Regards,
              Joker,
              Manager of Dark London.
              I would echo the same. Although you guys explained it. No one understands it.

I also agree that while wars don't need to be 100-101 each slot 10-154 or something like that is worst. Players just go ohh well and leave after initial play. How is that healthy.

I think what you should do is give each empire a strength rating, then match them within 5% +\- of there ranking. That way any given war you can get a lucky nuke, the right superpower, a crucial player is active or inactive, a big hitter with hotshot, etc that can swing a match.

The LS,AF, etc fighting someone legend 90 is not constructive and turns into a wasted war. If players want a break from long wars they can reduce the amount of wars, or all show up to make quick work.

I'm never upset to lose to a similar level empire if they are more active than mine. It is annoying seeing the top 5 as your opponent when you have 3 players over level 1500

Comment

• Check
                Goon
                • Sep 2014

My Regards,
                Joker,
                Manager of Dark London.
                Where do you get this information from? The top empires (top 5 legend) don't want close battles 4 wars a day. the way it is right now 1-2 close battles per day is perfect, as Duke said burning out is gonna be a big problem if you're needed in 4 wars per day to win the war. As you can see even top empires die out a bit after the start of the season because of the constant close wars you get everyday at the end of the season, let alone doing this for 3 months.

Comment

• DL_Joker
                  Underboss
                  • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Check View Post
                  Where do you get this information from? The top empires (top 5 legend) don't want close battles 4 wars a day. the way it is right now 1-2 close battles per day is perfect, as Duke said burning out is gonna be a big problem if you're needed in 4 wars per day to win the war. As you can see even top empires die out a bit after the start of the season because of the constant close wars you get everyday at the end of the season, let alone doing this for 3 months.
                  Where? I actually have friends in LS and AF (not everyone hates me ) who frequently iterate how pointless the current ranking system is.

Am I saying every war should be close? No. And obviously things will need to be balanced to keep everyone from burning out. But #1 in Legend matching up against a rank 79 is an entirely different league, and can be discouraging for teams who work hard to get that high. Especially for lower levels who can't get anywhere because they hit a wall of empires who are far too strong for them, and then wind up in the gutter again. The current system is simply too wild. (Why are we punished more for having a close war? We put up more of a fight, why would that mean we lose MORE ranking?)

I'm not suggesting some crazy change to matchmaking (though it'll probably come as a result of the change I'm requesting), but instead a massive overhaul to how we're ranked.

My Regards,
                  Joker,
                  Manager of Dark London.
                  Last edited by DL_Joker; 03-08-2017, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• Mercurial
                    Soldier
                    • Mar 2016

Halve the token timer and make wars 1 hour long.

Another thought. War powerplay super power or upgrade. Grants all active members an instant 5 tkns (or similar), for that time you want to quickly finish off that war that's comfortably won, or having trouble getting through a building.

As it's active players only it won't be used until enough players have joined to prevent/delay early rush.

Comment

• Xcali1985
                      Head Boss
                      • Jun 2013

Where? I actually have friends in LS and AF (not everyone hates me ) who frequently iterate how pointless the current ranking system is.

Am I saying every war should be close? No. And obviously things will need to be balanced to keep everyone from burning out. But #1 in Legend matching up against a rank 79 is an entirely different league, and can be discouraging for teams who work hard to get that high. Especially for lower levels who can't get anywhere because they hit a wall of empires who are far too strong for them, and then wind up in the gutter again. The current system is simply too wild. (Why are we punished more for having a close war? We put up more of a fight, why would that mean we lose MORE ranking?)

I'm not suggesting some crazy change to matchmaking (though it'll probably come as a result of the change I'm requesting), but instead a massive overhaul to how we're [b]ranked[b].

My Regards,
                      Joker,
                      Manager of Dark London.
                      Yea I agree. I would think if you blow a team out the system would jump you a lot thinking your too strong for your opponents. If you get blown out I would think it should drop you a lot to find more competitive play. If you win/lose close wars then you are right in the correct competition range and little change is needed.

The current rules make no sense. Win in a blow out jump up 5 spots just to get blown out and fall 5. Win a close war and jump 50 spots and spend the next day or two getting smacked around as you fall back slowly.

Comment

• Newwo
                        Thug
                        • Feb 2015

If understand right its some kind of damaged/perverted "Elo" ranking system, like boxing, chess etc, where champion is not always the best, but which have most smarta** management. Or finally blind luck, like we got top 10 year ago not being top 50 in fact. Like 5,6 places last season))

Why not set fights with same w/l ratio opponents. Nobody force you to play 24/7, if you wanna sleep, then sleep. If you wanna be king of da rock, then seat on its top 24/7 and throw away annoying pretendents.

Comment

• Missy
                          Thug
                          • Jun 2014

Agree with some others here; losing a close war should drop you *less* than a 1-sided loss.

Comment

• Empress Lauren
                            Goon
                            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by UWE_Duke View Post
                            I disagree... this doesn't make sense.

If two closely matched (EvE rank, activity, & levels) empires are in a war, and the final score is close to a tie... then I wouldn't expect a significant gain/drop in ranks for either empire.

For example, if in the last 50 wars of the season an empire that has been consistently in top 10 loses one of their last battles in the season against a top 3 empire, but it's a really close battle... they shouldn't be bounced down to a final rank in the 30s or lower... that just doesn't make sense.

I would welcome (enthusiastically!) a revamp of the ranking system... it has never made sense.

This is a game... about battles...
                            EXPECT to get attacked... farmed...
                            by allies... by higher levels...
                            even PvP'd directly from EvE....
                            It might not be "nice", nor "proper" game etiquette,
                            but all's fair in war!!

Comment

Working...
                            X