Thread: iOS 10 Beta + Game Center

iOS 10 Beta + Game Center

Hello,

iOS 10 beta doesn't have game center. When the real version releases I don't think they will have it either. How will we retrieve our accounts if this app is gone? Am I missing something?

Re: iOS 10 Beta + Game Center

You look to be correct my friend:

http://www.cultofmac.com/433211/appl...ter-app-today/

I'm sure PA will adapt accordingly and hopefully take the chance to respond? (Cough, cough)

We all wait for an answer..

It would seem like this would have a serious impact on their account management model, especially in light of the recent changes to tighten the binding of a toon to a single GameCenter account.

We don’t currently support the ios10 developer beta. If there are any changes to this, I'll definitely let everyone know.

-UWE_Eevee

Well now that iOS public beta is out and I installed it and I couldn't access Game center. So I am unable to log in to my account.

Banned

Sounds like death of UE to me.

Ouch. That's not sounding like the gung-ho, 'we're aware of the issue and working on a patch!' response I was expecting. =\

Quote Originally Posted by UWE_Eevee View Post
    We don’t currently support the ios10 developer beta. If there are any changes to this, I'll definitely let everyone know.

-UWE_Eevee
    Eevee,

My concern is not about being supported in the beta release (I wouldn't support it either), but rather that it is known that iOS 10 is eliminating Gamecenter as a standalone app (see https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/14/ap...inue/?ncid=rss). With the recent changes to the user binding (see http://underworldempireforums.com/sh...ecurity-Update), it seems that you have doubled down on the importance of Gamecenter to the fundamental user management of the game itself.

Can you address what the outlook is for the future? With something as central to the game as this, I hope that there is a game plan in place to address this. I've been in the software business for close to two decades in both engineering and management roles and if something similar happened to a product that I were supporting, it would be my top priority to determine the plan to address this, far more important than delivering new content in the short term. With a probable 3-4 month window until iOS 10 GA, there isn't much time to waste.
    Last edited by Mdwstrnkid; 07-11-2016 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdwstrnkid View Post
    Eevee,

My concern is not about being supported in the beta release (I wouldn't support it either), but rather that it is known that iOS 10 is eliminating Gamecenter as a standalone app (see https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/14/ap...inue/?ncid=rss). With the recent changes to the user binding (see http://underworldempireforums.com/sh...ecurity-Update), it seems that you have doubled down on the importance of Gamecenter to the fundamental user management of the game itself.

Can you address what the outlook is for the future? With something as central to the game as this, I hope that there is a game plan in place to address this. I've been in the software business for close to two decades in both engineering and management roles and if something similar happened to a product that I were supporting, it would be my top priority to determine the plan to address this, far more important than delivering new content in the short term. With a probable 3-4 month window until iOS 10 GA, there isn't much time to waste.
    We're probably looking at 2 months. Apple will probably announce new device in September with release a week later and iOS 10 will probably be available the day before the phones come out or so.

They were grossly unprepared for iOS 9 when it came out and it had the screen issues.

There's only so many options for them. Revert back to email binding with random code. Which would allow platform switching and selling of accounts. Create a registration prompt, which would allow platform switching and selling of accounts. Link to UDID which would not allow platform switching or selling, but would prevent you from upgrading a phone in the future.

Unless there is a way to pull the Apple ID being used I think they are going to have to dump the current model. This is the problem you run into when you base your security off of another companies platform. They don't check with you when changing or upgrading which can break your protocols.

Imagine if Android bars apps from knowing the google play id? Which is another dilemma they are in because, the security is perfectly fine on one platform and will be unplayable on another.

Er, let's not be too hasty. The core Game Centre app is gone but it still exists as a service. There's a section in the Settings app. You can still sign in. And more to the point, _OTHER_ apps that rely on Game Centre, to my knowledge, have not been affected by the change. I haven't tested matchmaking but pulling user data down, using it as an account, seems to be functioning for now.

So while I don't know what is different about Underworld Empire's usage of Game Centre (or perhaps it is unrelated to Game Centre at all. My specific error is a SSL error and Apple is now requiring HTTPS. In iOS 9, this was optional), I sincerely hope their reluctance to patch in anticipation of an impending, eventual iOS 10 launch does not mean that they will not have the issue patched by launch day.
    Last edited by meia; 07-12-2016 at 10:17 AM.

Historically caution has been highly recommended for these significant iOS updates. If it's possible to wait a couple days to be sure it works then do it, if not then just prepare yourself and your empire that there might be some hiccups. There may not be but it can't hurt to keep it in mind.

Go to settings on phone find Game Center and log in viola it works!!

Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by Up4Drea View Post
    Go to settings on phone find Game Center and log in viola it works!!
    where were you when the world needed you.... look at so many dead soldiers...

the end is very near it looks like to me, i may go fuse crazy now before i cant, also all my fp... what to do... lol

I havent updated my phone in ages. Seems like any phone i have starts to slow down the more i update it. Makes your phone unusable and makes you want to buy a new one.