• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aprilwine
    Street Boss
    • Oct 2013

Re: EvE Matchmaking Explanation

What I find fascinating is how the system determines where your empire places at the end of a season. Ill use my empire and last season as a example: We are a very casual empire that war 4 times a day. The 4:00 am war is the "throw away" war. This keeps us out of Legend league as much as possible. That said, the last two days we went on a winning spree and placed #182 Legend 2014 Fall season. This blows my mind since when we do fall backwards into Legend those wars are normally a massacre. Like I said we are very casual and have a good little team of like minded individuals where work and school is top priority but some of the empires we placed ahead of last season makes absolutely no sense at all. If we are basically Platinum/Diamond for the whole majority of a entire season there should be no way we had the opportunity to "place" in Legend...even if we won all the games 2 days prior to the season ending.

I'm really not complaining here since it was a huge boost to our egos placing anywhere amongst the Legend empires but I like to understand in more depth as to how match making and season placement works. From what I can tell the last days of a season is really what determines your placement at the end of a season. Forget about your record or what empires you beat...which really doesn't set right with me but since this last season was in my favor I guess it will have to do. I'd like to think someday they make it to where there are certain empires you will never face due to level average, amount of members and overall record.
    sigpic

Comment

• Selene
      Retired Game Guru
      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by UWE_Tank View Post
      Power Index and Leaderboards:

• A power index is calculated for each empire and is updated after every battle, and leaderboards are ordered using the power index. As an example, the number one empire in Legend League will have the highest power index, and the final empire in Bronze League will have the lowest power index.

• The calculation for power index takes into account each empire’s previous 50 battles and more recent activity has a greater weighting. If the winning empire had a lower power index at the start of the battle, more points may be awarded to the winning empire.
      Could you post the formula used to calculate the power index, and how wins/losses would affect it?
      Inactive as of July 14, 2015

Comment

• MrDiaz
        Lackey
        • Apr 2015

Same thing with our crew " Ironfist" I say we're a mid-diamond crew possibly low grade with these new building that came out and last to season ended in legend ranked hmmmm

Comment

• MrDiaz
          Lackey
          • Apr 2015

So what determines what tier an empire is placed in?

Comment

• shino
            Lackey
            • Mar 2015

I don't think there can ever be an equal matching system based on the player diversity in spending... I'm fine with that and I can acknowledge that records don't mean that you faced the equal competition so .. Gl figuring out how to make it fair but not loose the currently active players.. If it was fair .. There wouldn't be small empires to rebound on because we'd all quit playing lol

That said .. I think what the game lacks is that the strategy an empire takes can never over take what another empire has spent in real money.. Sports all contain the element that at the start .. Either team can win right.. Upsets are exciting and possible

Comment

• shino
              Lackey
              • Mar 2015

What I find to be lacking is that underdogs are gone.. If the little guy can't win even when the other guy doesn't even show up then the excitement or possible suprise is gone... When new abilities came out ... I read ... Reveal .. Explosives .. Adaptation .. Stim ect and started trying to cross the classes for strategy to have a say in outcome...

Like reveal would be an available target to the whole team .. Would have diminishing returns against lower lvl targets by a factor .. Ect .. Reveal 10 targets in 3 or 6 and have 10 demo guys plant and set off explosives as a " hail marry " against a much more powerful empire ..
              It's not there .. If always was but people have put spent the possibility of competition...

Comment

• shino
                Lackey
                • Mar 2015

Just my two cents but if there was a chance that the crappy team throws runs all trick plays they could possibly pull colossal upsets it would draw complaints but it would livin the game for even the players who are too big to worry anymore

Comment

• DFish
                  Brawler
                  • Mar 2015

EVE is the best and worst part of this game. It is great when a war comes down to the last 5 mins, but horrible when's if over before it even starts. Sadly it seems like there are more and more wars over before they start.

Usually Tank is helpful in his posts, but I don't know anymore about the match up system than before the post was created. More information would be helpful.

First, rank and match ups should be separated and only loosely connected. Our new empire has been as high as legend 187 and all the way down to gold. At the end of the season, if somehow we made legend because of 3 wins in a row, but had a losing record, that would be just stupid and unfair for an deserving empire who had one bad war on the last day. Ranking should be wins and loses and total points (in case of tie breakers) in wars during the season, period. Maybe you weight the last 50 or 100, if a team had several strong players join and they get a good streak going at the end of the season. What if LS goes undefeated until the very last match of the season and finishes 10th or 20th? Is there any doubt they aren't the strongest empire, yet the current system could punish them for losing one war. This isn't the old college football BCS.

The algorithm for match ups is screwed up for all the levels except legend. It does not meet any of the 4 goals posted for mid level teams.

You need an apples to apple comparison for empires to create your pool. How are you tracking activity? Is it just number of people who log in, is it number of battle points earned? Empires should be matched up by taking upgrades, number of actives, level of players, age of the empire, and even the war slot, into account.

Our empire is less than 3 months old, but every time we win a war, the next one is a team we have no shot at beating. They have higher level players and more actives and more upgrades. As the game grows players, we need more empires, though I admit there are too many empires. If newer empires are punished for being new, then you lose future players and revenue. Match ups for the mid level teams needs a lot work to keep things more evenly matched.

Comment

• Noodles
                    Lackey
                    • Aug 2016

That happened to my empire too cuz after.we won a war by 2 points, we versed a team whose average level was 300 while ours is like 50ish 100osh and of course we lost by like 20 points lol

Comment

• bigG4444
                      Lackey
                      • May 2016

I completely agree with many of the statements in this thread. Although each season is a THREE MONTH MARATHON, your final ranking is basically an assessment of your last 3-4 wars. It is very unfair. Last season consisted of 368 wars. But realistically, the actual final standings are based on the last 3-4 wars and more specifically, your very last war. Two seasons in a row, my empire were in the lower 100s in Legend heading into the last war. Which we lost both times, and of course, fell to top of diamond league. There must be a better way to determine an Empire's strength for a THREE MONTH season other than their very last war.

Comment

• Bugo
                        Goon
                        • Oct 2015

What happens when there is an odd number of empires? Let's say that there are 1001 empires queued up to do battle in all Leagues. There would be 500 wars and that would mean one empire would have no one to battle. What happens? Does that odd empire not not get to battle?

Comment

• Aen
                          Lackey
                          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Bugo View Post
                          What happens when there is an odd number of empires? Let's say that there are 1001 empires queued up to do battle in all Leagues. There would be 500 wars and that would mean one empire would have no one to battle. What happens? Does that odd empire not not get to battle?
                          I believe you fight an empire a league below you. And you won't run out of empires to face there's 100s of inactive ones even for free pts

Comment

• DFish
                            Brawler
                            • Mar 2015

Can we please stop with the redundant match ups. We played the same team 3 times in 6 matches. Really? And none of them were even close. The score was 160 to 45 in the most "competitive" of the matches. I'm sure there was some other team we could have played during two of those.

Comment

• Diamond_DS
                              Lackey
                              • Aug 2017

I have a newer empire, lower levels, level 2 hq. We are generally active, 11-19 show up for wars, and in the beginning we started off with a big winning streak. Since then we have had so many bad matchs, going up against shields and nuke silos and research labs, all high level fams. We bounce back and forth between gold and platinum league, our win /loss is pretty much even.
                              Lol I would love to come across game with at least similar range of upgrades (like other games it looks at hq level kinda thing). I know level ranges are all over the place. But it would be nice to have a few more balanced wars. The wars are fun, and are funniest when closer matches for sure.

Comment

• Demo Diva
                                Lackey
                                • Dec 2013

From what I have read I get the impression that winning a fast battle is given more weight for the winning empire in determining rankings rather than winning a 2 hr battle where the score is closer. For the loser of a fast battle the loss doesn’t weigh against them in EvE rankings as much as if the loss was fought for a full 2 hrs and the score between the winning/losing empire is closer.
                                Example 1) Empire A beats Empire B, clearing the board in 30 minutes or less with a final score of 160-10.
                                Example 2) Empire A beats Empire B in a full 2hr long battle with a final score of 140-110.
                                Take into consideration that Empire A and Empire B are ranked within the top 3 empires please tell me how Example 1 and 2 affect Empire A and Empire B in relation to EvE ranking.
                                Which example is better or worse for the winning and losing empire?

Comment

Working...
                                X