• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UWE_Tank
    Community Manager
    • Dec 2013

EvE Matchmaking Explanation

A lot of players have been asking for some clarity behind how we conduct matchmaking for EvE so we wanted to be transparent about our matchmaking algorithm and what it takes into account:

EvE Matchmaking Goals:

• Promote competition at all levels of play, while still allowing players to face a variety of different opponents
    • Have leaderboards more accurately reflect an empire’s level of strength
    • Reward winning, penalize losing and inactivity
    • Reduce match ups against inactive empires

Power Index and Leaderboards:

• A power index is calculated for each empire and is updated after every battle, and leaderboards are ordered using the power index. As an example, the number one empire in Legend League will have the highest power index, and the final empire in Bronze League will have the lowest power index.

• The calculation for power index takes into account each empire’s previous 50 battles and more recent activity has a greater weighting. If the winning empire had a lower power index at the start of the battle, more points may be awarded to the winning empire.

Matchmaking:

• Within each League, empires are divided into “poolsâ€‌ of similar power index. Empires are most likely to fight other Empires of similar power index/leaderboard position within their own pool, but can be matched against Empires in other pools. The farther away two Empire’s pools are, the less likely they are to fight one another.

• Sometimes there are an odd number of Empires to be matched within a given League. In this event, the �odd’ empire will be matched with an Empire in the League directly below (i.e. Empire at the bottom of Legend will be matched with an Empire at the top of Diamond)

Re: EvE Matchmaking Explanation

Interesting.

Comment

• Chris Michaels
      Hitman
      • Feb 2013

Thank you for the clarification tank.

Nice to see I pretty got the ranking factors right in the other threads lol. Specifically the aspect on recent battles weighing heavier than past ones.

Again thank you for explaining, pretty much answered any possible ranking question. It won't satisfy some people but it's good enough for me. The matchmaking is still questionable to me but I still maintain the ranking system wasn't the issue. Transparency is always a good thing imo
      You are not what you are born but what you have in yourself to be.

Comment

• Doc Capo
        Goon
        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by UWE_Tank View Post

A lot of players have been asking for some clarity behind how we conduct matchmaking for EvE so we wanted to be transparent about our matchmaking algorithm and what it takes into account:

EvE Matchmaking Goals:

• Promote competition at all levels of play, while still allowing players to face a variety of different opponents
        • Have leaderboards more accurately reflect an empire’s level of strength
        • Reward winning, penalize losing and inactivity
        • Reduce match ups against inactive empires

Power Index and Leaderboards:

• A power index is calculated for each empire and is updated after every battle, and leaderboards are ordered using the power index. As an example, the number one empire in Legend League will have the highest power index, and the final empire in Bronze League will have the lowest power index.

• The calculation for power index takes into account each empire’s previous 50 battles and more recent activity has a greater weighting. If the winning empire had a lower power index at the start of the battle, more points may be awarded to the winning empire.

Matchmaking:

• Within each League, empires are divided into “pools” of similar power index. Empires are most likely to fight other Empires of similar power index/leaderboard position within their own pool, but can be matched against Empires in other pools. The farther away two Empire’s pools are, the less likely they are to fight one another.

• Sometimes there are an odd number of Empires to be matched within a given League. In this event, the ‘odd’ empire will be matched with an Empire in the League directly below (i.e. Empire at the bottom of Legend will be matched with an Empire at the top of Diamond)
        Thank you tank. I highly encourage you to look at your matchmaking more closely as well. Perhaps you should separate out the top 10 pool of power index and every day have the teams in the top 10 face one other team in the top 10. So if you are top 10, you know you are going to get a top 10 fight at least once per day.

Originally posted by Chris Michaels View Post
        Thank you for the clarification tank.

Nice to see I pretty got the ranking factors right in the other threads lol. Specifically the aspect on recent battles weighing heavier than past ones.

Again thank you for explaining, pretty much answered any possible ranking question. It won't satisfy some people but it's good enough for me. The matchmaking is still questionable to me but I still maintain the ranking system wasn't the issue. Transparency is always a good thing imo
        This.

Comment

• SpaceDive4
          Brawler
          • Feb 2014

Thanks a lot for the explanation Tank!
          Now we know what to look at and how to look at the numbers! So it s all luck basically cause if you are number 4, but you never meet number 1,2,3 during your last 50 matches, and number 1,2,3 dont meet each other and win, then you cant progress. Now it all makes sense
          Appreciated.

PS: if you could make the number of empires per pools smaller, we would have more competition. Or send us playoffs
          Last edited by SpaceDive4; 12-04-2014, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• DvEight
            Banned
            • Mar 2013

Interesting how my casual empire got matched up against Ass Fam last battle of the season.... 254 rank legend against a top 10. You guys are doing a great job��

Comment

• Johnny86
              Goon
              • Aug 2013

Great explanation! Here's a tip to better the system: Form an Eve Playoff Committee to arbitrarily make up the top 25 rankings. The top undefeated empire should probably be left at #4, leaving 1 loss empires in the top 3 slots. After all, winning isn't everything.

Comment

• Dr death
                Kingpin
                • May 2013

This is how GF, RM and Chosen all get to play against each other fairly quickly to make sure they take a loss. Can't have any unbeaten empires out there for more than a couple of days.

Comment

• Dr death
                  Kingpin
                  • May 2013

I like this New UWE_Tank. He is open honest gives us clear information. When a mistake is made, he admits it and does something to correct it. New stuff is coming out, improvements are being made. Kind of like the old days, keep it up.

Nothing is ever going to be perfect, but communication helps, a lot.

Comment

• Jay123
                    Thug
                    • Jun 2014

Thank you, Tank. I agree with Death, "nothing is going to be perfect, but communication helps, a lot."

ICE WOLF
                    OMEGA DYNASTY

Comment

• Creel Limit
                      Lackey
                      • Mar 2013

Thanks for the clarification. If I read it correctly, it sounds like only the last 50 battles of an entire session matter. Is that correct? What's the point of having the season, if you play all 4 battles a day, be 360 battles or so if only the last 50 count in the power index? Also, if the last 50 are all that matter, maybe you should shrink the size of the pools so you do not have a stretch where the 1st and 2nd place team do not play each other.

I could see Chosen reading this scoring and decide to play 4 battles a day the last 2 weeks of a season. They could leap them right up to 1st...

I still agree with Chris, a playoff would be sweet. Maybe do it for each pool, so all teams are part of a tournament/playoff if you will.

Comment

• Genial
                        Lackey
                        • Feb 2014

It's very simple. Winns determind the rank... Like every sportsleague in the world. From battle to battle. Your rank system is not right or fair for that matter. How to matchup? Well simple. Let 1-50 battle eachother 51-100 etc. You have made a system that perhaps looks fair in a formular but def not in game.

Concider making it easy. Winning each round determinds the placement in battlerank. That way a team doesn't end up lower than empires they beat every time.

I'm sure many will agree.

Peace :-)
                        Last edited by Genial; 03-01-2015, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• Bomber
                          Goon
                          • Jan 2015

So, once we were ranked 14 Platinum and battle 14 Gold... How does that happen?

Comment

• Xcali1985
                            Head Boss
                            • Jun 2013

I agree in theory the system should work, however, it creates mismatches in at least 1-2 wars daily.

Another problem with the system is the players. Players bounce from empire to empire too much. They help an empire win a couple weeks then move to the next one.

I don't have the answer for the correct system but the one in place isn't it.

I've started too many wars knowing that my 80 member empire was going to crush the empire across from us with no one above level 200 and only 50 members. While we have several above 1000 and a lot above 500.

They weren't wven able to get a single building even though we drug out the war.

Comment

• Shind
                              Soldier
                              • Jun 2014

is the "power index" an ELO Rating system?

Comment

Working...
                              X